The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) in Nigeria has recently updated its guidelines for the enrolment of international students into Nigerian universities. This marks a significant shift from the previous regulations established in November 2019. Understanding these changes is crucial for aspiring students and educational institutions to ensure a smooth admissions process.
Overview of the Revised Requirements
On October 10, 2023, a memo detailing these revised prerequisites was disclosed, providing educational bodies and foreign applicants with a clearer framework. The memo, signed by Mr. Fabian Okoro, the Director of Information Technology Services at JAMB, lays out a systematic approach to handling foreign student admissions.
Detailed Admission Process for Foreign Students
The Role of the University
- Initial Submission to JAMB: Universities are now required to compile and submit a roster of all new foreign students seeking current admission to the respective State JAMB Office. Along with this list, a letter of indemnity from the institution’s head must be provided, affirming that all candidates meet the institution’s admission criteria and indemnifying JAMB against any inaccuracies.
Communication with JAMB’s Director of Admissions
- Through CAPS Mail: The same list and letter of indemnity should also be sent to the JAMB Director of Admissions via the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS) mail, ensuring a dual submission for verification purposes.
The Candidate’s Journey
- Profile Creation at State JAMB Office: Candidates are directed to their respective State JAMB Office to create profiles on the JAMB facility platform. It is important to note that only the State JAMB Office where the university is located will handle these profiles.
- Filling the Application Form: The FRESH FOREIGN Application Form can only be accessed and filled out at the State JAMB Office. Candidates who have not been previously listed by the institution will be unable to process their application.
- Registration Number and Transaction ID: Upon completing the registration, candidates will receive a unique Registration Number and Transaction ID.
- Printing the Indemnity Form: Each candidate must print and submit an auto-generated Indemnity Form to their institution for further verification and endorsement by the head of the institution.
Finalization by the Head of Institution
- Online Authorization: The institution’s head is responsible for authorizing the candidate’s application online. This step is critical as it ensures the candidate’s details are made available on CAPS, allowing the institution to propose and recommend the candidate for JAMB’s final approval.
Implications for International Students and Institutions
This revamped process places a greater onus on both educational institutions and candidates to provide accurate information. It emphasizes the importance of adhering to the specified procedures and maintaining close communication with the chosen institution throughout the admissions process.
Overall, the changes were made to improve the clarity, conciseness, and organization of the text. Redundancies were eliminated, sentences were simplified, and the flow of information was enhanced. The revised text provides a more cohesive and comprehensive understanding of the revised guidelines, maintaining a professional and informative tone throughout.